Transforming Faces (TF) is a Canadian charity that promotes the availability of multidisciplinary cleft care for children and adults in developing countries. TF currently partners with seven local medical teams which provide comprehensive, team-based care for cleft lip and palate in South America, Africa and South Asia.
We are currently seeking a motivated and experienced individual to assist our partner in Thailand, the Northern Women’s Development Foundation (NWDF), in creating a local fundraising strategy. They hope to raise $60,000-$100,000 over 2 years to support cleft repair and rehabilitation. In the past, they have fundraised through networking and donation boxes and are now hoping to tap into banks, companies and individuals for funding.
The Volunteer Fundraiser will travel to Thailand in early 2013 and meet with our project partners in the cities of Chiangmai and Chiangrai, interview board members and supporters. Upon completion of the volunteer position, a strategy and key materials will be presented to the project lead so that they can implement a local fundraising plan.
The position will require travel to Thailand for a one month stay. Transforming Faces will pay for airfare and travel and medical insurance. The local partner will provide room and board at a three star hotel in a beautiful setting, and local transportation. Valid passport and time flexibility is required. Some weekends will be allotted for sightseeing, at your own expense.
- Evaluate NWDF’s past fundraising experiences including donation boxes and traditional activities, such as sponsored outdoor events and house-to-house collections of donated goods and money
- Create and collaborate to spearhead a fundraising strategy for NWDF
- Provide input in the development of marketing and advocacy strategies
- Collaborate with office administration and communications coordinator to source stories
- Develops fundraising initiatives in conjunction with NWDF and Overbrook Hospital
- Facilitates communication with and among project partners to support local communications goals and to generate best practices among projects
- Work alongside the NWDF coordinator to meet the organization’s fundraising goals
- Assist with crafting Fundraising proposals with input and participation from NWDF
- Perform research as required
- Inspiring NWDF board to raise money for cleft project and the organization
- Maintaining and developing relationships with existing supporters
- Developing and coordinating web-based fundraising, online auctions and merchandise sales
- Developing and implementing a strategy for individual and corporate supporter recruitment and development
- Recruiting, organising and managing volunteers to carry out various functions within NWDF
- Explore corporate fundraising, including employee giving and matched giving from employers
- Create the Case For Support including case stories
- Create the campaign plan
- Identify key donors and their suggested giving levels
- Create individual strategies for major-gift solicitations
- Organize one fundraising event
- Must have excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong computer skills are necessary (Microsoft Suite)
- Proven ability to work with a diverse group of stakeholders in a cross-cultural team environment
- Strong attention to detail and the ability to multi-task
- Self-motivated and able to work independently
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to meet tight deadlines
- 5+ years as a professional fundraiser
- Experience with photoshop and design principles is an asset
- Candidates must be comfortable working in a cross cultural environment
Required Languages: Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of Thai language and culture would be considered an asset
Training: The volunteer fundraiser will be given an orientation about the project, as well as a cultural orientation, before departure and upon arriving in Thailand.
Other Benefits: This is an excellent secondment opportunity to gain valuable workplace experience in a diverse environment, while helping a local NGO to become self-sufficient. The successful volunteer will receive letters of recommendation if requested.
Start Date: Mid-January to late March 2013. Exact dates to be determined with possible candidate.
Hours: 35 hours/week
Salary Range: Unpaid
Please e-mail a copy of your resume, cover letter, and brief statement which details what skills you will be able to contribute to:
Debbie Silva, Communications Coordinator
Please include ‘Fundraising Volunteer Application’ as the subject line.
Deadline to apply is December 7 at 4pm EST.
You will be required to have a valid passport and comply with our Child Protection Policy if you are successful.
About Northern Women’s Development Foundation (NWDF)
Transforming Faces partner with the Northern Women’s Development Foundation (NWDF) of Thailand to operate the Cleft Lip and Palatet Palate Repair and Rehabilitation Project in the citiy Chiangrai. The project originated as a response to the need for cleft lip and palate surgery for children from tribal groups in Northern Thailand, where many families cannot afford the costs of surgery and rehabilitation. For more information, visit our website.