We partner with top Speech and Orthodontic specialists at Chennai’s Sri Ramachandra University (SRU) to provide care to rural families in the Thiruvannamalai District.
The SRU team travels each month to rural communities to provide the following services:
- Identification of speech and hearing disorders
- Referrals to ENT specialists
- Speech therapy, using trained community-based rehabilitation (CBR) workers
- Dental and orthodontic work
Over the course of 2013, our partners in India have carried out the following activities:
- Six speech camps were conducted in the Thiruvannamalai district and 131 patients attended; 75 patients received follow up appointments.
- In 2012, our project began in Cuddalore district, which has a population of 2 million and has relatively high rates of poverty and unemployment. At the beginning of this year, one camp was conducted in the Cuddalore district and 15 patients attended. They have all received follow up appointments.
- 10 new patients received speech correction services in the Cuddalore district. Each child received about 30-50 minutes sessions of speech correction service.
- CBR workers reached out to children who were receiving speech correction service using a mobile phone – the sessions were monitored and feedback was provided.
- All patients who reported to cleft clinic were referred for regular Audiological screening. Patients who failed in the screening were recommended for ENT consultation.
- As a part of the project activities, a database sheet was designed and used for collecting patient related information. These sheets are used to track the treatment provided/recommended for patients.
- As a part of the project activities, audio visual materials were developed and used for sensitization and training programs for grassroots workers in the districts.
To find out more about our work in India, click here.
Want to support this initiative?