- Population: 4.9 million
- Partner: Asociación Pro Niño con Labio y/o Paladar hendido (Asociación LPH)
- Based in: San Jose
- Partner since: 2017
- In collaboration with the National Children’s Hospital, ensure that newborns with cleft have access to care and begin their treatment on time
- Improve speech and communication of children and young adults with cleft
- Signed partnership agreement with Transforming Faces in 2017
- Launched a national awareness campaign through links with the Ministry of Education, reaching all public schools in Costa Rica
- In 2020, 149 families received care in partnership with Asociación Pro Niño con Labio y/o Paladar Hendido (LPH).
- Quality Equipment: LPH requires new equipment, including “VPI bulb” to assist with developing speech and communications skills.
- Training: Team requires training in NAM application, used to reshape a baby’s nose, lips and gums prior to surgery for better outcomes.
WHAT OUR PARTNERS ARE SAYING
“We are especially grateful for the attention provided by TF in 2020. We have felt supported and guided during this difficult year.” – Angelica Campos, LPH
Bubbly Samantha’s Journey: Costa Rica
Bubbly Samantha's Journey with Cleft and Speech Therapy Samantha is an absolute chatterbox. She is a bubbly and energetic two-year-old, who loves meeting new people. When members of the Transforming Faces’ team visited her family in early April, we noticed this right...
Innovating Cleft Care Treatments during COVID-19
Hospitals worldwide are being cleared to make space for intensive care patients, and physical distancing requirements and lockdowns have necessarily postponed all traditional community-based cleft care. During this stressful time, TF’s local partners are...
Caring for Cleft: How a 3D Simulator is Transforming Cleft Surgery
Caring for Cleft is a podcast series that tells the story of comprehensive cleft lip and palate care around the world. Today’s episode examines how new technology is transforming cleft surgery.