Where We Work
Where We Work
- Population: 52.9 million
- Partner: Northern Women’s Development Foundation (NWDF)
- Based in: Tachileik
- Partner since: 2017
- Working to ensure comprehensive cleft care services are available to children and families in the country, and bringing speech therapy closer to patients’ homes through mobile and community-based speech camps
- Collaborating with local health and community centres within the region to share information about cleft lip and palate, and ensure communities know where and how to access treatment
- Ensuring nutritional support is available to high-risk newborns and infants
- In 2017 and early 2018, our Thai partner (NWDF) has worked on developing in-country capacity and treatment options for children from Myanmar
- Long travel distances: Many families have to travel for three to four days from rural communities to reach care
- Challenges in accessing care: Due to language barriers, poor road conditions, lack of locally available services and periodic natural disasters
- Shortage of cleft professionals in country: Families continue to rely on Thai professionals for many services
CANADIAN SUPPORTERS: Philip Smith Foundation
Interested in supporting our programs in Myanmar?
Two of our wonderful Thai partners visits SickKids Hospital in Toronto for surgical training.
7-year-old Pwint was born with a cleft in Myanmar. This is her story.
At TF, we are proud of our partners around the world who are committed to delivering comprehensive cleft care to children and families - from as early as the day a child is born and up to 20 years of age. Our partners are advocating for families every day...