Where We Work
Where We Work
Transforming Faces is passionate about our mission of providing care and services to those who have been born with cleft palate and cleft lip. For this reason, we serve the amazing people of Uganda through our valued partnerships and we won’t stop until every person who suffers with one of these conditions receives the care they need. Of all of the smile charities in the world, Transforming Faces stands apart because of our focus on making a difference, our desire to changing lives, and the hope that we offer to those who might never have had it. Our mission: to transform lives, one person at a time. Consider donating to our cause today!
- Population: 41.5 million
- Partners: Comprehensive Rehabilitation Services of Uganda (CoRSU) Hospital
- Based in: Entebbe, Uganda
- Partner since: 2018
- Mobilization and transportation assistance for children from rural districts with a high incidence of cleft lip and palate
- Promoting community awareness about comprehensive cleft care through radio talk shows and community workshops
- Providing hospital-based nutritional support, speech therapy and counselling
- New three-year project launched in 2020 to expand comprehensive cleft care services for patients affected by cleft lip and palate, and their families
- 174 patients supported in 2019
- Long travel distances: The communities served are quite remote, and as a result, are often not equipped with facilities and qualified personnel to deliver surgery and speech therapy close to home
- Awareness: A lack of community knowledge about the condition and the importance of comprehensive cleft care
Learn more about our work in Uganda!
Listen to Caring for Cleft: Episode 4 – Cleft Surgery in East Africa
Caring for Cleft is a podcast series that tells the story of comprehensive cleft lip and palate care around the world. Today’s episode examines how cleft surgery has evolved in East Africa over the past 20 years.
In Ethiopia, cleft lip and palate continues to by highly stigmatized. In many communities, a cleft is still believed to be the result of a curse! Services can be scarce, and TF's long-time partner, Yekatit 12 Hospital has been the only centre delivering...
Caring for Cleft is a podcast series that tells the story of comprehensive cleft lip and palate care around the world. Today’s episode celebrates the graduation of the first locally-trained speech therapists in Ethiopia.