Where We Work
Where We Work
- Population: Over 100 million
- Partners: Yekatit 12 Hospital & Project Harar Ethiopia
- Based in: Addis Ababa
- Partner since: 2007
- Yekatit 12 Hospital is Ethiopia’s only comprehensive cleft care centre
- Services include: surgery, speech therapy, dentistry, orthodontics and social work
- Provided care for 391 patients in 2016
- Teamed up with Addis Ababa University to develop the first formal degree program for speech therapists. The first cohort of students are currently completing their final year in the program
- Delivering essential medical equipment to Yekatit 12 (thanks to our supporters!)
- Partnering with Project Harar Ethiopia to deliver community-based speech therapy to patients in rural parts of the country
- Shame & stigma: In many Ethiopian communities, cleft is believed to be a curse. We work to address this issue through public awareness campaigns and family counselling
- Shortage of trained speech professionals: Currently, there is only one in the whole country!
CANADIAN SUPPORTERS: Unifor Social Justice Fund, Blossom Foundation, Rotary Club of Toronto Sunrise, Toronto Earlscourt Rotary Club, Rotary Club of East York, Rotary Club of Alliston, Terence & Svea McKillen Foundation, Norman Black Foundation
Thanks to our Ethiopian partner, six-year-old Mekdelawit’s smile lights up a room!
“We are grateful to TF for providing this excellent opportunity to bring the service[s] to the patients,” our partner Yekatit 12 Hospital says about their recent outreach camp in remote Ethiopia.
Abebe’s father says finding TF’s partner in Ethiopia was “like a miracle for him, his family and his community.”