Where We Work
Where We Work
Transforming Faces is passionate about our mission of providing care and services to those who have been born with cleft palate and cleft lip. For this reason, we serve the amazing people of Ethiopia through our valued partnerships and we won’t stop until every person who suffers with one of these conditions receives the care they need. Of all of the smile charities in the world, Transforming Faces stands apart because of our focus on making a difference, our desire to changing lives, and the hope that we offer to those who might never have had it. Our mission: to transform lives, one person at a time. Consider donating to our cause today!
- Population: Over 100 million
- Partners: Yekatit 12 Hospital & Project Harar Ethiopia
- Based in: Addis Ababa
- Partner since: 2007
- Yekatit 12 Hospital is Ethiopia’s only comprehensive cleft care centre
- Services include: surgery, speech therapy, dentistry, orthodontics and social work
- Provided care for 391 patients in 2016
- Partnering with Project Harar Ethiopia to deliver community-based speech therapy to patients in rural parts of the country
- In 2015, Addis Ababa University launched its first formal degree program for speech therapists. Now, with support from TF and the Toronto Addis Ababa Academic Collaboration (TAAAC), the first cohort of students are set to complete their studies this January!
- Shame & stigma: In many Ethiopian communities, cleft is believed to be a curse. We work to address this issue through public awareness campaigns and family counselling
- Shortage of trained speech professionals: There are currently less than 10 speech therapists serving a country with a population over 100 million
OUR PARTNERSHIP WITH THE TORONTO ADDIS ABABA ACADEMIC COLLABORATION (TAAAC):
In 2017, TF began a collaboration with TAAAC, a unique, multidisciplinary educational initiative partnering with the University of Toronto and Addis Ababa University in Ethiopia. TAAAC works to strengthen the capacity of professionals in medical, engineering and social sciences in Ethiopia. Together, TF and TAAAC facilitated training of Ethiopia’s first cohort of undergraduate speech therapists, set to graduate from Addis Ababa University in early 2019.
CANADIAN SUPPORTERS: Unifor Social Justice Fund, Blossom Foundation, Terence & Svea McKillen Foundation, Norman Black Foundation
Six-year-old Sara is thriving today – thanks to TF’s Ethiopian partner and our dedicated supporters in Canada! Learn more about Sara’s journey.
Speech therapy in Ethiopia is on the cusp of a significant breakthrough: moving from a single qualified speech therapy in the country, to 8 trained speech therapists in 2019. Learn how we made this happen.
At Transforming Faces (TF), we know that overcoming the limitations of cleft lip and palate often requires years of comprehensive care. We know that many patients require access to essential treatments, including secondary surgeries, dental and orthodontic care, and...