Where We Work
Where We Work
Transforming Faces is passionate about our mission of providing care and services to those who have been born with cleft palate and cleft lip. For this reason, we serve the amazing people of Ethiopia through our valued partnerships and we won’t stop until every person who suffers with one of these conditions receives the care they need. Of all of the smile charities in the world, Transforming Faces stands apart because of our focus on making a difference, our desire to changing lives, and the hope that we offer to those who might never have had it. Our mission: to transform lives, one person at a time. Consider donating to our cause today!
- Population: Over 100 million
- Partners: Yekatit 12 Hospital & Project Harar Ethiopia
- Based in: Addis Ababa
- Partner since: 2007
- Yekatit 12 Hospital is Ethiopia’s only comprehensive cleft care centre
- Services include: surgery, speech therapy, dentistry, orthodontics and social work
- Provided care for 391 patients in 2016
- Teamed up with Addis Ababa University to develop the first formal degree program for speech therapists. The first cohort of students are currently completing their final year in the program
- Delivering essential medical equipment to Yekatit 12 (thanks to our supporters!)
- Partnering with Project Harar Ethiopia to deliver community-based speech therapy to patients in rural parts of the country
- Shame & stigma: In many Ethiopian communities, cleft is believed to be a curse. We work to address this issue through public awareness campaigns and family counselling
- Shortage of trained speech professionals: Currently, there is only one in the whole country!
CANADIAN SUPPORTERS: Unifor Social Justice Fund, Blossom Foundation, Rotary Club of Toronto Sunrise, Toronto Earlscourt Rotary Club, Rotary Club of East York, Rotary Club of Alliston, Terence & Svea McKillen Foundation, Norman Black Foundation
At Transforming Faces (TF), we know that overcoming the limitations of cleft lip and palate often requires years of comprehensive care. We know that many patients require access to essential treatments, including secondary surgeries, dental and orthodontic care, and...
Research shows that over 50% of children born with a cleft palate will require speech therapy in order to participate fully in school and in the community. Transforming Faces (TF) is proud of the team at Yekatit 12 hospital who ensure that their cleft patients have...
Thanks to our Ethiopian partner, six-year-old Mekdelawit’s smile lights up a room!