Where We Work
Where We Work
- Population: Over 100 million
- Partner: Yekatit 12 Hospital
- Based in: Addis Ababa
- Partner since: 2007
- Yekatit 12 Hospital is Ethiopia’s only comprehensive cleft care centre
- Services include: surgery, speech therapy, dentistry, orthodontics and social work
- Provided care for 391 patients in 2016
- Teamed up with Addis Ababa University to develop the first formal degree program for speech therapists. The first two cohorts of students are currently enrolled in the four-year program.
- Delivering essential medical equipment to Yekatit 12 (thanks to our supporters!)
- Long-time partners visited Toronto to shadow Canada’s leading cleft care professionals at SickKids Hospital
- Shame & stigma: In many Ethiopian communities, cleft is believed to be a curse. We work to address this issue through public awareness campaigns and family counselling
- Shortage of trained speech professionals: Currently, there is only one in the whole country!
CANADIAN SUPPORTERS: Unifor Social Justice Fund, Blossom Foundation, Rotary Club of Toronto Sunrise, Toronto Earlscourt Rotary Club, Rotary Club of East York, Rotary Club of Alliston, Sisters of Charity – Halifax
Abebe’s father says finding TF’s partner in Ethiopia was “like a miracle for him, his family and his community.”
Ontario Rotary Clubs Team Up with TF to Deliver Essential Cleft Lip and Palate Services for Children in Ethiopia
Four Ontario Rotaries are joining forces to transform the lives of children born with cleft lip and palate in Ethiopia.
Mesay Gebrehanna shares her experience working as a speech language therapist at Yekatit 12 from 2004 to 2016.